(0) | $0.00

Shea Vineyard

Shea Vineyard was first planted to wine grapes in the late 1980s. Today Shea Vineyard is a 200-acre property with 140 planted acres. 135 of these acres are planted to Pinot noir vines and the balance is planted to Chardonnay. Roughly 25% of the Pinot noir fruit produced each year by Shea Vineyard is used by Shea Wine Cellars for its releases. The other 75% of the Pinot noir fruit is sold to some of the finest winemakers in Oregon and California.

The Facts

Shea vineyard sits on sedimentary soil over fractured sandstone. Vine spacing is 5×7 yielding 1,245 plants per acre. Shea was one of the early vineyards in this area of Yamhill County and on this soil type. Today, the vineyard is surrounded by some of the premiere wineries making Pinot noir in the “New World.”

Sustainable Farming

Being stewards of the land we farm is an important responsibility to us. With that in mind, we farm Shea Vineyard using sustainable methods as prescribed by LIVE. From the LIVE website: “Since 1999, LIVE has independently certified the sustainable practices of winegrowers in the Pacific Northwest, using the latest in university research and internationally accredited standards. We provide regional education to preserve the human and natural resources of the wine industry.” We have been farming by these principles for more than 10 years but have now made the decision to pursue formal certification from LIVE. We expect to receive certification for the 2020 vintage.

Farm Workers Make It Happen

We employ 10 workers on our year round vineyard crew under the supervision of vineyard manager Jesus Marin. Their skill developed over years in our vineyard is a large reason our fruit is so highly regarded. All are covered by health insurance provided by Shea Vineyard.

 

Panoramas

These stunning panoramas, captured by photographer Bill Edwards, offer a glimpse of Shea Vineyard from sunrise to sunset on a harvest day.  The sunrise and sunset shots were both taken in Shea Vineyard’s Back Block.  The mid-morning picture comes from Block 5, a frequent Shea Wine Cellars block designate release.  Also included are pictures from the sorting line at Shea Wine Cellars.  One shows fruit being sorted before traveling up the conveyor belt into the destemmer, while the other shows fruit being sorted for whole cluster fermentation.  Clicking on each image will take you to the 360° panoramic picture.  We recommend full-screen viewing for the best experience.  Please be aware that these images are hosted on an external website not affiliated with Shea Wine Cellars.

 

vineyard sunrise

vineyard panorama 

open house panorama

vineyard panorama

open house panorama

vineyard sunset

Vineyard Customers

Winery: Block:
Ancien 9
Antica Terratd> 4, 9, 14, 21, 24
Boedecker 11, 31
Chapter 24 14, 20, 33
Elk Cove 18
Ken Wright Cellars 2, 4, 7, 13
Penner-Ash Wine Cellars 2, 8, 10, 14, 18, 21
Purple Hands Back Block
Rex Hill 26
St. Innocent 6, Terraces
Shea Wine Cellars North Block, 4, 5, 7, 19, 20, 21, 23, 29, 30, 32, 33
Steve Goff 25
Walt Oak, 21, 22, 25, 27
Winderlea 11, 21

 

 

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Keep up to date on the latest wine releases, events, and promotions.